Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Marty & Zach

So, our two biggest free agents went the way that I thought they would....Marty's back and Zach has flown home.  Funny, if I had to choose, I may have gone the reverse, but it is a great story that Marty will finish his long and proud career in NJ.  You don't see that too often in professional sports anymore.  How many players can you think of that spent almost an entire career with one organization only to spend their last year or so somewhere else?  Though he's far from the prime of his career these days, MB30 clearly showed that he still has it in this year's playoff run.  Perhaps we rest him often again this season and keep him fresh for the playoffs... Anyway, welcome back Marty.  Here's to two more.
The Parise thing is a little less shocking for me.  I knew he was going elsewhere, although Devils faithful were in denial over this.  I'm not big into following players and their personal lives, so I only recently learned of his engagement to his ND fiancee.  It's not difficult to understand why he wants to play in Minnesota.  Family, future, etc.. He was already building a house there as well so maybe he had a really clear crystal ball.  I'm a little in disbelief that the Wild landed him and Suter, but I've always struggled to understand why certain teams have the money while others do not.  He will be missed, but somehow, I do not feel that the loss of our captain is the end of the world.  Minnesota is out of the division and far away.  At least he did not go to Philly, which would have been awful.  I'm looking forward to a decent forward signing before long and moving on...
People can say that free agency is a shame and career loyalty does not exist anymore, but I think it keeps us all on our toes and each season a fresh one.  Life goes on and so will we.  Good luck , Zach....but better luck Marty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment